Investing in the next generation of diverse leaders is a key priority at MoFo. This week, during National Mentoring Month, we spotlight MoFo Navigate’s Affinity Mentoring Programs: the Diversity Mentoring Program and the Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) Mentoring Program.
Diversity Mentoring Program
Based on associate feedback, the Diversity Mentoring Program (DMP) was designed to support our Black and Latinx associates, who are among the most underrepresented groups in the legal profession. This long-term, formal mentoring relationship picks up where the Pathway Mentoring Program leaves off. A DMP partner mentor helps to:
- Identify resources and opportunities for growth and development
- Ensure their associate has a challenging mix of work
- Assist their associate in navigating the firm more effectively, including any practice-related issues they may experience
- Provide feedback on work product and development plans
This relationship is designed to support an associate’s growth and development through partnership, or for as long as they stay at the firm, if they have other goals. This relationship is supported by trainings for both mentors and mentees on maximizing the mentoring relationship and effectively mentoring across difference.
APPI Mentoring Program
In collaboration with our partners in the AAPI Affinity Network, the D+I Group launched the AAPI Mentoring Program in September 2022. The year-long mentoring program is designed to meet the unique needs of our AAPI attorneys. The program features:
- Mentoring pods of six to ten attorneys
- A bimonthly meeting schedule
- A curriculum of suggested meeting topics and activities
- Professional development programs on enhancing the mentoring relationship
Approximately 80 attorneys, including partners, of counsel, and associates, from across our domestic offices are participating in the inaugural program. The small group format provides opportunities for traditional, peer, and reverse mentoring to occur.
To learn more, watch the below video featuring MoFo associate Camille Framroze as she discusses her experience in the AAPI Mentoring Program. Stay tuned for additional insights and stories which will be featured on our MoFo+ Blog and in our social media posts.