Lisa Phelan* is a partner in MoFo’s D.C. office and a member of the firm’s Global Antitrust Law Practice and Investigations + White Collar Group. She is a leading authority in cartel enforcement and her experience in criminal investigations and enforcement are unmatched.
Lisa joined the firm in July of 2018 after serving as Chief of the National Criminal Enforcement and Washington Criminal I Sections of the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, where she supervised and coordinated all investigative and litigation work on international and national criminal cartel cases.
Many of these international cartel investigations were in coordination with law enforcement agencies all over the globe, including the Japanese Fair Trade Commission, the Competition and Markets Authority and Financial Conduct Authority in the UK, the EC, Canada, Korea, Brazil, Australia and many more. In fact, Lisa is on a first-name basis with competition and law enforcement officials worldwide.
Lisa brings a wealth of experience to the firm and is a valuable asset to clients in areas such as cartel investigations, leniency applications, plea negotiations, effective compliance programs, and criminal jury trials. Her unique ability to recognize potential antitrust problems, before they arise, has made a difference for clients across numerous industries—from pharmaceuticals and petroleum to aviation, automotive, and beyond.
In recognition of her countless contributions to the world of antitrust and cartel law, Lisa was recently presented with the Pathmaker Award by Global Competition Review—the world’s leading competition law and policy journal and news service.
Five things you should know about Lisa Phelan are:
- At the DOJ, she prosecuted more than 300 criminal antitrust cases.
- Lisa is an active participant in ABA programs and activities, meeting with competition agency heads from around the world to advise on competition law changes and practices.
- She has long championed the advancement of women within the legal profession; she founded the “Women in Cartels” group and serves on the firm’s Women’s Strategy Committee.
- Lisa speaks frequently at American Bar Association (ABA), International Competition Network, International Bar Association, and various prominent white collar crime conferences.
- She has received numerous noteworthy accolades throughout her career, including the Presidential Rank Award, awarded by President Obama in 2015.
Learn more about Lisa and how she’s part of what makes MoFo strong.
*Practice limited to Federal matters; admitted in Pennsylvania only.